Here’s a recipe for a classic Sunday roast beef:
- 3 to 4 lb beef roast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sear the beef on all sides until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the pot.
- Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Return the beef to the pot, cover with a lid, and place in the oven.
- After 1 hour of cooking, add the chopped potatoes and parsnips to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Once the beef is cooked, remove it from the pot and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve the beef with the vegetables and gravy from the pot. Enjoy your delicious Sunday roast beef!