Melting cheese on the stove is a relatively simple process. Here are the steps:
- Choose a cheese that melts well. Some cheeses, like cheddar and mozzarella, melt easily and smoothly, while others may separate or become oily when melted.
- Grate or shred the cheese.
- Place a non-stick or well-seasoned skillet on the stove over low heat. Add a small amount of oil or butter to the skillet to prevent sticking.
- Add the grated cheese to the skillet. Use a spatula to spread the cheese out evenly.
- Let the cheese melt slowly over low heat. Be patient, as melting cheese too quickly can cause it to separate or become grainy.
- Once the cheese is fully melted, use a spatula to stir it and ensure it is fully melted and smooth.
- If desired, you can add other ingredients to the melted cheese, such as chopped herbs or spices, before serving.
That’s it! Now you can use your melted cheese to top off a sandwich, add it to a recipe, or enjoy it as a delicious snack.