Sure, here’s a recipe for chicken dum biryani!
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 lb bone-in chicken pieces
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup ghee or oil
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as needed
For the dum:
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- A pinch of saffron strands
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- Rinse the basmati rice in cold water several times and soak it in enough water for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, yogurt, sliced onions, ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, cilantro leaves, mint leaves, ghee or oil, and salt. Mix everything well and marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- In a large pot, bring enough water to boil with salt. Add the soaked rice and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until it’s 70% done.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, arrange half of the cooked rice at the bottom. Place the marinated chicken on top of it and spread it evenly. Cover it with the remaining rice.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk, cilantro leaves, mint leaves, and saffron strands. Drizzle this mixture on top of the rice.
- Dot the top of the rice with ghee or oil.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and seal the edges with a dough made of flour and water. This is called “dum” cooking.
- Place the pot in the preheated oven and cook for about 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked and the rice is soft and fluffy.
- Remove the pot from the oven and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken dum biryani hot with raita, salad, or pickle.
Enjoy your delicious chicken dum biryani!