Beef massaman curry is a delicious Thai curry dish that combines tender beef with a rich, fragrant sauce made with coconut milk, tamarind paste, fish sauce, and a blend of spices. Here’s a recipe for beef massaman curry:
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp massaman curry paste
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt, to taste
- Add the beef to the pot and cook until browned on all sides.
- Stir in the massaman curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, tamarind paste, fish sauce, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, bay leaf, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and peanuts to the pot and let simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the beef massaman curry over rice and enjoy!